Alternative Education Academy
To provide an alternative education setting for students who do not fit into the traditional high school program.
To work in conjunction with our public school districts to provide the nontraditional student with an on-line opportunity to complete coursework in preparation for graduation.
We offer three (3) program options: the AE High School Program, Credit Flex/Credit Recovery, and AEA/District Purchase Agreement. With all options, it is recommended that it will take the student 60 hours PER COURSE SEMESTER to complete.
How does it work?
- Enrollees are typically non-traditional students: i.e. school phobic, pregnancy, extended medical issue, alternative to suspension or expulsion.
- Students enroll in the program with the recommendation of their district superintendent.
- Our staff meets with the district counselor to design the program for the student.
- Our staff works to match the student’s needs with on-line courses from PLATO Learning Environment.
- Students must provide their own transportation to the Alternative Education Academy.
- Students meet from 8:15am – 12:15pm five days per week.
- Licensed HQT’s (Highly Qualified Teachers) are in the lab with the students while they are in attendance.
- Coursework is graded by HQT teachers.
- Students progress at their own pace and receive assistance from staff, if needed.
- Students need to be able to work independently on the rigorous coursework.
- Students are expected to exhibit appropriate behavior and be dressed in acceptable attire while attending the Alternative Education Academy.
- Students have the benefit of counseling and job placement if appropriate.
Option #1: SC Alternative Education High School Program
This program is designed to provide a classroom setting for students who do not fit into the traditional high school program. The cost for the 2010-11 school year is $65.00/day/student
- Students meet on site and in class at the AEA 4 hours per day from 8:15 to 12:15. The AEA is located inside the Summit County Educational Center at 420 Washington Ave, Cuyahoga Falls OH 44221.
- Students follow their home district’s calendar for attendance.
- The academic curriculum is provided online and licensed teachers are in the lab with the students while they are in attendance.
- Coursework is graded by the teachers and assistance is provided if needed.
- Students can access their coursework at any time from home or elsewhere. Online access is day or night, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Home school teachers, counselors, and administrators have access to the student’s work and records online at all times.
- Progress reports are issued to students weekly with copies sent home and to the home school counselor.
- The student’s family and/or the home school is responsible for the student’s transportation to and from the AEA.
- The AEA reserves the right to remove a student due to attendance or failure to comply with the rules of the AEA and the home school.
Option #2: Credit Flex/Credit Recovery
The Credit Flex/Credit Recovery option allow the student to continue attendance at their home district while taking one or more classes online through the AEA towards their graduation requirements . The AEA Teaching Staff provides online support and grading services while allowing the home district personnel to logon and check the student’s progress at any time.
Approval for this program is through the student’s home district principal and guidance counselor.
The 2010-11 cost for this is option is outlined below and is typically paid for by the student’s parents or guardians. Payment is due in full at the time of registration.
$130 per course semester, for a full credit course (i.e. Full credit of Biology = $260; 1st semester of Biology = $130.)
$130 per course for a ½ credit course (i.e. Health is a ½ semester course = $130)
Option #3: AEA/District Purchase Agreement
The AEA/District Purchase Agreement option also allows the student to continue attendance at their home district while taking one or more classes online through the AEA towards their graduation requirements. However, the home district provides their own teachers and resources to assist the student.
Approval for this program is through the student’s home district.
The 2010-11 district cost for this is option is $100.00 per course.
For more information, contact: