A continuing education unit (CEU) is equal to 10 contact hours of continuing education. For example, a five hour in-service would be equivalent to 5 contact hours or .5 CEUs. A ten hour in-service would be equivalent to 10 contact hours or 1 CEU. One semester hour of credit for a college course is equivalent to 30 contact hours or 3 CEUs.
License renewal requires 18 CEUs (180 contact hours). Contact hours relate only to the time that actual instruction is being provided. Lunch or rest breaks are not included when counting the contact hours earned at a particular CE activity.
Continuing education activities must focus on at least one of the following areas:
- Subject matter: Increase the knowledge of subject matter to create effective learning experiences for students
- Student learning: Increase the understanding of how students learn and develop to create opportunities for student academic development which may include intervention strategies
- Diversity of learners: Increase the knowledge of the differences in how students learn and how to apply techniques to accommodate such diversity
- Planning of instruction: Improve planning of instruction based on knowledge of subject, students and curriculum goals and models.
- Instructional strategies: Improve the design and implementation of instruction that encourages each student to develop critical-thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Learning environment: Improve the learning environment by encouraging active, engaged learning, positive interaction and self-motivation for all students
- Communication: Increase the understanding and use of a variety of communication skills including verbal and nonverbal techniques, technology, and media to increase effectiveness.
- Assessment: Improve the use of formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate student progress
- Reflective Practice: Analyze past experience and pursue individualized growth opportunities to improve professional performance for increased student learning
- Student Support: Increase the knowledge of how to work with parents, family members, school colleagues and community members to support student learning and development
- Legal Responsibilities: Increase the knowledge of legal responsibilities as it pertains to teaching and its impact on teachers, students and school districts.
A Certificate of Attendance from the CEU activity is required for final approval.